How I Fell in Love with Travel

7.17.2016

| | 14 comments



Most people fall in love with travel on the first trip that they take away from home. Kids who go on camping trips that are destined to change them forever. Who go to Disneyland or DisneyWorld or what other form of Disney there is and enjoy the delights of their childhood while screaming from the top of their lungs as the roller coaster whisks them from one spot or another in an exhilarating, dizzying, adrenaline-rushing ride. Or teens. Teens who are off on a school trip or any other trip where they get to volunteer rebuilding a school or a church. It might not be to another country, but a one-week venture to some place where the sights, sounds, and smells are so different from what they know to be home. Others are already adults when they take that first step into the unknown. Perhaps it is to visit a relative or family members. Perhaps they finally decided to take that long vacation their best friends have been convincing them to take. Perhaps they want to see what is this fascination with flying and travelling that they keep hearing everyone talking about.

Not so with me.


My early childhood travels were more "travails" and less fun and adventure. Every time we took a trip, our parents had to make sure that they had plastic bags just in case one of us threw up (and, believe me, between me and my five brothers and sisters, someone was always bound to throw up; we rarely escaped unscathed). It wasn't just the throwing up that made us dread the journey and wish we could teleport to wherever we were going to. We hated the movies they would show on the bus with their loud sounds and disgusting scenes (for some reason, the PG-est of PG movie get played on buses). We hated bumpy roads and zigzag highways. We even had an incident when we travelled to a nearby province and some of us had diarrhea (to make matters worse, their were no toilets on the bus).

Thus, in my mind, I equated travel to tiresome, bothersome, messy things that took one away from the comforts of home and thrust them into places where the unknown and the unsafe occurred. In one of my earlier childhood travels, even, I remember trying to cross a bridge that was made of nothing but long pieces of bamboo strewn together, and falling off just we I started walking across. There were dogs that chased us, horses that ran away, runny noses, upset tummy, swarming mosquitoes, little incidents that would involve some of us falling this or that, bumping into this or that, breaking this or that.

I can remember out of town trips, but I can't remember ever saying that I wanted to go back to a certain place or that I wanted to go somewhere. Of course there were time when it seemed fun and cool...until the next person threw up or fell of the bridge or got chased by a turkey. So you can bet that my less-than-stellar travel history has little to do with why my feet are always itching to go some place.

Rather, I fell in love with travel in the solace found between the pages of many of my favourite books. I was five when I first read Little House on the Prairie and found myself wishing that I could go to a prairie and that I could see some Native American Indians. Not shortly after, I read Anne of Green Gables, and Prince Edward Island made it to a spot on my bucket list (which wasn't actually called a bucket list back then). The Boxcar Children had me wanting to visit ranches, go camping in the mountains. Swallows and Amazons made me want to try sailing, reinforced all the more by The Witch of Blackbird Pond and Carry On, Mr. Bowditch. Books like Number the Stars, Twenty and Ten, and Escape from Warsaw, sad as the plots were, made me eager to visit Europe

And while I read, I dreamed. Dreamed of a time when I would see these places for myself. Dreamed of my first airplane ride, my first trip out of the country, my first venture to worlds unknown. Dreamed of the time when I would not just read about those places or see them through magazines or online sites, but actually be there, actually see them with my very eyes.

Last May 10, 2010, I took that first step to fulfilling those dreams: I had my very first plane ride to a trip out of the country for the very first time.

It's been six years since that day. I don't get to travel as often as I'd like, but there are times when I get to go on trips and it's harder to convince my wandering soul to come back. I'm still dreaming. I'm still building my bucket list (which I actually call my Dream List now) and looking for places to go and things to do. Recently, I discovered several travel communities that are so fun and wonderful and helpful. I've downloaded a few apps, scheduled a few trips in the next few months. I haven't been to those places I've read about in my favourite books yet, but I'm determined to go there someday. Maybe I can even find that sweet niche what will allow me to travel for work or travel while I work. It's all hazy, nothing final, but it's a step, just like that one I took six years ago.


Follow my blog with Bloglovin

14 comments:

  1. Please take me with you. At least once and I won't bug you anymore ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! We have a Bohol trip to plan, remember? :D

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness, that gave me some food for thought! We have 3 year old twins who we take on many trips. Luckily they don't get motion sickness. I hope they remember these trips fondly! I love your reading inspiration. Books and novels have long been an inspiration for me and I hope for my children as well. Anne of Green Gables was a particular favourite and I cant wait to read it with my daughter who most surprisingly has "carrots" hair. Lovely read, thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your twins don't get motion-sickness! Hooray for book-lovers everywhere! I hope your daughter falls in love with Anne of Green Gables, too. :)

      Delete
  3. Reading truly broadens your imagination! Glad that it made you dream and that you are fulfilling those dreams :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your childhood memories actually sounds like my now-days adult trips, messy, chaotic, stressy etc. But somehow I love them still. Good to read things turned out good for you. How about your siblings, did they catch the travel bug too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's something fun about some messy, chaotic things, I guess. Yes, I think we all caught the travel bug, albeit in various degrees. ;)

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful story! I am glad you joined us on the side of Wanderlust and Fernweh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I am glad I was bitten by something that I will possibly never recover from. :D

      Delete
  6. I have similar memories of "travel" as a kid - it was a nuisance more than anything. Long hours in the car, stopping in a different town each day. All I wanted to do was read a book and eat at Dennys, lol. Travel wasn't a privilege back then like it is today. All my dreams now focus around, where can we go to next? Where can we get lost? What can we experience? I'm thankful now for the opportunities that we get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you! Because it took me away from reading time when I was younger, I didn't enjoy it so much. But now, I can't seem to get enough of it. And you're right--back then, travel was a luxury. But these days, with all the promo flights, anyone can travel!

      Delete
  7. I empathize with your early childhood travel memories. I think a lot of us remember being shipped as cargo in the backseat of a rough ride on a windy road. I certainly had my fair share of plastic bag encounters :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they certainly shaped a lot of childhood memories. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...